Exhibitions Design and Delivery brief
The Highlanders’ Museum is seeking quotations to design and deliver the refresh of three permanent galleries on the ground floor of the museum.
Up to a value of £17,463, including VAT and all expenses.
This contract is supported by Museum and Galleries Scotland’s Museum Recovery Fund and must be
delivered by 31/12/2023.
Working at The Highlanders’ Museum
The Highlanders’ Museum tells the story of the Highland Regiments from just after the Battle of Culloden to the present day and is home to the largest collection of military artefacts outside of Edinburgh representing almost 250 years of history.
The Highlanders’ Museum (THM) is an Accredited, Visit Scotland 5-star rated, independent military museum situated within Fort George. It is a visitor attraction showcasing highland military history and is the jewel in the crown of the historic fort, which is still a working military barracks. This key historic site is visited by 60,000 people a year pre-pandemic.
THM has 7 permanent members of staff and a dedicated team of around 20 volunteers. We are an independent charity and events are a key income generation stream for the organisation.
We are located in an original Georgian building in the heart of Fort George. We have spectacular views of the Moray Firth but it also means that it can be a bit draughty at time, and surfaces are occasionally wet or icy. It also means that only part of our buildings are accessible. Public transport access is very limited.
The Exhibitions Design and Delivery contract will oversee the research, design, and project management of the refresh of three permanent galleries on the ground floor of The Highlander’s Museum. The refreshed galleries will be more accessible and will accommodate different learning styles. A full specification for each gallery will be made available to those candidates invited to interview but the expectation is that the first gallery will be refreshed June 2023, and the other two in October and November 2023 to minimise impact on the visitor experience during our peak season.
You will work closely with the Director, the Curator and the Digital Engagement Curator and be supported by a volunteer team as and when required.
- Working with the Director and curatorial team to deliver the agreed outputs.
- Ensuring that the refreshed galleries meet The Highlanders’ Museum’s objectives and link to the development plan outlined in the most recent Accreditation documents and the Learning Strategy.
- Manage the Exhibition budget spend, approx. £11,750.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety, legal, and best practice standards are met.
- Act as THM’s liaison with contractors for this workflow.
- Conducting After Action Reviews (AAR) and sharing learning with the team.
- Communicating with all partners and stakeholders.
- Agree works timetable with Director to ensure staff resource is available to support activity.
All responses will be measured against the following criteria:
- Experience of designing and delivering successful permanent displays in museums
- Quality of proposal
- Value for money
On no more than 4 sides of A4, please provide:
- Examples of how you meet the experience and qualities for contract. In your response, please provide details of previous permanent displays in museums highlighting the impact and outcomes of your work.
- An outline of how you will deliver the brief.
- A full breakdown of your costs, timescales and number of days planned on site.
Please submit your response to Eilidh Young, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am 27/02/2023. Interviews expected to take place on 09/03/2023, these can either be in- person or via Zoom.